Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A little update

I've been reading further into my distance learning course and have been shocked, dismayed and horrified by the amount of time it is going to take. I'll effectively be working an extra 35 hours a week, as each 2 week module takes around 70 hours to complete.

Gulp.

I will also need to spend about £200 on books (of which there are 11) and increase our broadband allowance to the maximum.

As yet I'm unsure about whether I'll need a Windows computer to watch the videos on. But as a bonus I'll get to talk to my tutor on Skype and listen to interesting Chemistry-related podcasts.

I also have an awful lot of video to watch - almost 87 hours, to be precise, split between 5 modules, as the last module requires 2 weeks attendance at Sussex University for the practical assessments.

Here's how it goes:

Module 1: Atomic & Electronic structure: 16 hrs of video
Module 2: Thermodynamics: 15 hours of video
Module 3: Periodicity: 19 hours of video
Module 4: Kinetics & Equilibrium: 15 hours of video
Module 5: Organic Chemistry: A whopping 22 hours of video.

I will also have at least 2 assignments and 2 assessments for each of these 5, but some have 4 or 5 to complete.

I find I'm rather looking forward to the university based module. At least I'll only have to work normal hours for that one.

They say that the PGCE year is the hardest in terms of work load. But I sincerely beg to differ.

Plus, my lovely boss who lets me get away with murder as long as I don't make it public, is stepping down from his role as of the beginning of April. I really don't know who he will be replaced by and I very much hope that it's someone equally relaxed and who doesn't feel the need to fill my working days up with...well...work. That would be very bad news for me. I am counting on keeping my long afternoons with not much to do so that I can study and save myself from going to bed at midnight every day.

So....who wants to come and be my live-in nanny for 3 months so I can give up work?

No?

Ah well, it was worth a try.

1 comment:

  1. P.S I've been saving my Christmas chocolate covered coffee beans for study-related emergencies. Thanks to my lovely brother and sister-in-law for those!

    ReplyDelete