Monday, October 15, 2012

In for a penny....

I get to teach my first lesson tomorrow.  I've been told I'll pass just a long as a) some learning takes place, and b) nobody gets sent to A&E.  Fingers crossed.

The last couple of weeks have been a bit of a blur really, I don't know where the time has gone.  I've been in school from Mondays - Wednesdays and then at Uni Thursdays & Fridays, and it's been fun to swap ideas about lessons, and yarns about how brilliant we are and what we've managed to achieve. Mostly it's not a lot, but you have to start somewhere.

School has been at once frustrating and hectic.  It's difficult to find the time to eat and drink, and subsequently use the toilet, so I've been spending most of the days pretty well dehydrated and coming home with a headache.  I've also been itching to get my hands wet, so to speak,because observing lesson after lesson is pretty dull and I've run out of things to write about in my reflections.

There are also the usual admin (or lack of) stresses, such as:
not knowing how to get about the rabbit warren that is William Parker,
not being able to print on the school network,
not having access to the relevant course material (can you believe it....what good is a teacher who can't see what it is they're going to teach?),
not having a key to the science labs (and having to queue up with the kids while they're busy throwing their ties down the stairs, kicking each other and generally being dreadful),
not knowing the school rules (a copy of these does not exist anywhere),
not really understanding a great deal of what goes on, anywhere....

My professional tutor today asked me for my opinion about the school on the proviso that nothing said would leave the room.  So I told her the conclusions I came to after week one (I'm not going to repeat it online in case the Google Monster picks it up and I get fired) and I felt a lot better.  She wouldn't say whether she agreed with me or not, but a certain twinkle in the eye, cheesy grin and nudge in the ribs appeared to indicate an opinion not far away from mine.  Call me and I'll tell you if you like, but it's not very exciting.

It's not all bad.  I really like the department I work in, they are extremely friendly and welcoming and seem to make a really good team.  I like most of the kids, and those that I don't like usually have a pretty dreadful story to tell which explains (but does not excuse, I add here) their terrible behaviour, language and general inability/unwillingness to participate in class.  The behavioral policy is strong, although it is not implemented consistently, so there is always support when you're having a dreadful time with a pupil.

All in all I'm pretty happy at the moment, and most of the little stresses and niggles will go away in time....  Except the kids.  They won't go away.  But anyway, if they weren't there then this blog would be pretty pointless....

I'll get back to you tomorrow, after they've hung me up to dry after a lesson on the carbon cycle.  With any luck I'll have enjoyed myself, they will have learned something and nobody will have gone to A&E.  Not even me.


No comments:

Post a Comment