Friday, January 27, 2012

The 12 Week Countdown

Yes, I've started reading The Guardian. I think I have to really, being on the brink of joining a lefty/liberal workplace and possibly even joining a union (unless of course I am lucky enough to find work training future Tory Party members in a lovely private school with a swimming pool, ponies and a cortege of Porche Cayennes). But there are a few good things to consider and some interesting opinions too. For example, the debate about whether it is right to sack an underperforming teacher within 12 weeks:

"Assistant heads, deputies and heads are teachers too. Too much union power doesn't just ensure that failing teachers remain in post – it also protects shockingly poor senior teams who are incapable of properly supporting their staff. Unreformed union power means one size fits all: defend everyone, no matter how much they betray our children." (Katharine Birbalsingh, a former deputy headteacher).

Clare mentioned something like this to me when I called her for a chat the other week. Being an experienced teacher does not make you a good manager, and poor managers make for underperforming staff members. Will this power extend to removing heads of department for failing to effectively support and mentor their staff?

"But if local authorities and schools are able to set their own process, a teacher who might be judged good in one school might be ruled unsatisfactory in another. A lot of the time, when teachers are struggling, it's the context. Some teachers may struggle in one school, but get excellent results in another." (Alice Robinson, president of the Association of Teachers and Lecturers).

Poor management, a stressful working environment, bad facilities, different pupils...you name it, there are many many reasons for unsatisfactory results in the classroom. Who gets the right to decide who is bad? If an entire school is falling behind in its results, will all the staff be sent on their not-so-merry way? Conversely, in a top performing school, will the teacher that only gets the minimum number of A-C passes be given the heave-ho? They won't be doing badly by national standards, yet if the heads are given the power to decide who stays and who goes, then this person is likely to be first in the firing line and will have to fight very hard to find another job.

"I just don't think it's true that there are large numbers of bad teachers in schools. I think there are a few, and I fear that just as there are a small number of failing teachers, there will be a small number of heads who abuse this new process because of personality clashes with their staff." (Alice Robinson, president of the Association of Teachers and Lecturers).

Scary, but probably true unless there are strict procedures in place. 12 weeks is not a long time for a full performance review. My current workplace gives you 6 months and endless chances to redeem yourself, full one-on-one support and guidance throughout the disciplinary process.

"...the government's proposed standards apply equally to new starters and more experienced teachers. Surely performance measures should be progressive, reflecting professional development and continually challenging a teacher to improve?" (Stephen Twigg, Labour's shadow education secretary)

How much time am I, as a new teacher, allowed to take before I am measured on my capability to produce good results? I do not expect to be laid off within my first term, but when then? A year? Two? Five? How long are you allowed to underperform for before the final sentence is passed? Food for thought for sure. I agree with Mr Twigg on this one.

And in the words of one sensible parent named Sally Llwellyn; "Children only go through education once – if you go through Year 4 and you don't learn anything you never get that year back. That's a whole wasted year for 30 students."

Excellent point, and well made. Poor quality teaching has got to be dealt with, and I think the stick as well as the carrot is an effective method which is being portrayed hashly by the media and those who fear reform. You know, even if you won't admit to others, when you're not trying your hardest and you've given up. Perhaps the threat of swift dismissal will help a few lazy ones to sharpen up (oh dear, can you tell I'm married to an Adjutant with a penchant for sacking soldiers?) and will improve the lives of a few important children. As for me, I'm determined to give it my best shot. Teaching is a vocation, not a job, and I think it takes a special sort of person to do it well regardless of the amount of criticism, statistics and bad behaviour that is thrown at them. I just hope I have what it takes to achieve what I would like to.


Removing bad teachers – panel verdict
Underperforming teachers could be dismissed within a term instead of a year, under powers being introduced in September
, , ,
guardian.co.uk, Friday 13 January 2012 17.14 GMT

No comments:

Post a Comment